Toto is a band of musician’s musicians, with a precision about their work that’s almost unrivaled. Of course that comes from years of top studio work before the band formed, something that can clearly be heard in Steve Lukather’s isolated guitar part on their hit “Rosanna.” Here’s what to listen for.
1. The precision of the playing here is as good as it gets. On time, perfect tempo, and a groove all built into the tracks.
2. The guitar has a short delay (I’d say around 50ms) that’s panned to the right for a great wide stereo effect. You’ll also hear a chorus, longer delays and some different reverbs as well as the song goes from section to section.
3. Listen to how often the guitar sound changes as well. It’s differently in just about every single section of the song.
4. The middle solo 3:15 is still in stereo but it’s very narrow compared to the rest of the song.
5. Check out the solo on the outro. Pure Luke!