I don’t know if I ever thought who the top 10 mixing and mastering engineers were. You usually get an idea of who’s hot by watching the charts to see if the same names come up over and over, but that’s pretty unscientific. We do live in an age of data though, so finding out who’s really crushing it should be easier than just a random sample, and it is, thanks to Jaxsta.
According to its website, “Jaxsta is the world’s ONLY official music credits database. The credits are official because they’re provided directly by more than 345 data partners, including record labels, publishers, distributors and industry associations – none of our data is crowd-sourced. With more than 80 million deep-linked pages and 300+ million music credits, Jaxsta is the solution to the music industry’s metadata problem.”
Credits are the lifeblood of engineers, producers and musicians. Anyone who’s ever had even a minor hit knows what that credit can do to your career. Unfortunately it’s too easy for credits to get lost in unreported metadata. You could be part of a #1 hit and no one could ever know. Jaxsta seems to be solving that problem.
So let’s get to the top mixers and mastering engineers for last year, according to Jaxsta.
The Top 10 Mixers are:
- Serban Ghenea (Adele, Sam Smith)
- Manny Marroquin (Paramore, SZA)
- Mark “Spike” Stent (Miley Cyrus, Shania Twain)
- John Hanes (Taylor Swift, Halsey)
- Bryce Bordone (The Weeknd, Nicki Minaj)
- Chris Galland (SZA, Little Big Town)
- Josh Gudwin (FLETCHER, Meghan Trainor)
- Jaycen Joshua (Lil Nas X, Justin Bieber)
- Rob Kinelski (Billie Eilish, KAROL G)
- Noah “40” Shebib (Rihanna, H.E.R.)
The Top 10 Mastering Engineers are:
- Randy Merrill (Harry Styles, Taylor Swift)
- Colin Leonard (Beyoncé, Charlie Puth)
- Chris Athens (Future, ROSALÍA)
- Chris Gehringer (BTS, Glass Animals)
- Dave Kutch (Alicia Keys, Billie Eilish)
- Mike Bozzi (Steve Lacy, Doja Cat)
- Emerson Mancini (Kendrick Lamar, Lizzo)
- Dale Becker (The Kid LAROI, Jack Harlow)
- Joe LaPorta (Shawn Mendes, Gunna)
- Adam Ayan (Pearl Jam, Shakira)
I bet you’re asking, “How did they determine who’s on this list?” According to company, it’s “Based on statistics provided by Jaxsta’s 340+ official Data Partners – record labels, publishers, distributors, industry associations and charts providers – the Honors List identifies the world’s 100 most successful Mixers and Mastering Engineers for 2022, using a weighted algorithm that takes into account each person’s chart performance, Spotify streams, GRAMMY wins and nominations, RIAA certifications, and number of credits during the year.”
So the answer is, “We took a lot of data from different places.” That’s what Jaxsta seems to do, and if credits are important to you, it’s probably worth becoming a member.