- in Production , Video by Bobby Owsinski
A Listen To The Beatle’s Decca Audition Tape
The Beatles, arguably the greatest music group of all time, were turned down by every record label they went to until a little arm twisting landed them on George Martin’s Parlophone label. One listen to this audition tape that the band did for Decca Records Â leads you to understand why everyone passed however. The bandÂ played songs from their live show, and while certainly competent, didn’t provide even an inklingÂ of what was to come later.
The auditionÂ took place in London at Decca Studios on New Year’s Day in 1962. The group (which included original drummer Pete Best) travelled down from Liverpool through a snowstorm with driver and roadie Neil AspinallÂ to arrive just in time for the 11am audition. Brian Epstein had travelled separately byÂ train. The Beatles recorded 15 songs altogether with 5 of them, Â “Three Cool Cats,” “The Sheik Of Araby,” “Like Dreamers Do and Hello Little Girl,” eventually appearing on the Anthology 1 collection in 1995.
Here’s the track listing.
01. Money (That’s What I Want) [0:00]
02. To Know Her Is To Love Her [2:26]
03. Memphis, Tennessee [5:01]
04. Till There Was You [7:22]
05. Sure To Fall (In Love With You) [10:23]
06. Besame Mucho [12:27]
07. Love Of The Loved [15:07]
08. September In The Rain [17:00]
09. Take Good Care Of My Baby [18:57]
10. Crying, Waiting, Hoping [21:26]